It’s a fact:
The most effective crowdfunding campaigns use video.
There’s just something about video that grabs our attention and makes us interested. That’s why people watch five billion YouTube videos each day, and the film and movie industry is worth tens of billions of dollars a year.
In this quick tip, you’ll learn the step-by-step process for adding a little cinematic magic to your campaign in just 90 minutes.
Step 1: Write the script (20 minutes)
We’ve found that videos work best if they’re short—around two minutes or so.
Here’s a template you can use:
- 0:00-0:30 — Tell your story and explain why you care about the problem
- 0:30-1:30 — Explain what your solution is, and how it will solve the problem
- 1:30-1:45 — Provide a general budget, and explain what you’ll do with extra funds
- 1:45-2:00 — Ask! Encourage people to join your mission, and explain any perks
Step 2: Film the video (30 minutes)
The equipment doesn’t matter as much as your personality! A smartphone or even webcam will work fine.
When filming, do this:
- Look into the camera, and imagine just talking to one friend.
- Show your excitement and passion for your cause—your enthusiasm is infectious!
- Smile and look confident! Don’t be afraid to ask people to help.
Step 3: Edit the video (30 minutes)
Before you show the video to the world, you’ll probably want to polish it a bit.
There’s no need to be fancy.
Trim out major misspeaks, and add a picture or title if you like.
Don’t worry about background music, a logo, or even transitions. These take time to get right and can be distracting for your viewers.
Remember—people want to support you, so don’t hide behind special effects!
Step 4: Upload the video (5 minutes)
Once you’ve finished editing the video, the rest is easy.
Go to a site like YouTube or Vimeo and upload your creation. Since the video is short, it shouldn’t take too long.
Be sure to give it a title—don’t leave the default image name:
Step 5: Upload to Chuffed (5 minutes)
Once you’ve uploaded the video, watch it once to make sure everything’s working properly.
If so, grab the link and place it on your Chuffed campaign page. Double-check to make sure it works correctly.
Congrats! You’ve just created your first campaign video! If you have more time, consider spending more time on each section to develop your work further.